The facts behind food waste are truly shocking. Each year in London, we throw away 900,000 tonnes of food from our homes, of which 540,000 tonnes (60%) is good food and drink that we could have enjoyed. What's more, we're throwing our money away, spending £1.4 billion on food destined for the bin!
More shocking food waste facts:
- Food waste costs the average person £200 a year. For a family of four, it costs £60 a month, which adds up to more than £700 a year.
- Disposing of London’s food waste costs our waste authorities over £50 million each year.
- Food waste generates approximately 19 million tonnes of CO2 emissions. Simply reducing the amount of good food we throw away could remove the equivalent of 1 in 4 cars from our busy roads.
- Food waste contributes more to climate change than packaging waste.
- For every 5 bags of shopping bought, we essentially throw away an entire bag of good food; food that could've been used to feed hungry mouths. We live in a city where both needless food waste and food poverty co-exist.