Written by recycle
More shocking London food waste facts:
- Food waste costs the average person in London £200 a year, rising to £700 for a family with children.
- Disposing of London’s food waste costs our waste authorities over £50million each year.
- Food waste generates approximately 2.1 million tonnes of CO2 emissions. Simply reducing the amount of good food we throw away could remove the equivalent of 1 in 4 cars from London's busy roads.
- Food waste is more harmful to the environment than packaging waste.
- For every 5 bags of shopping bought, one is thrown away with food that could have been used to feed hungry mouths. Socially, we live in a city where both food waste and hunger coexist.